Pet Poisons

There are many toxic hazards around your home and garden including medicines, cleaning products, pesticides and plants. Pets can be exposed to these toxins in a number of different ways including ingestion, contact with the skin or eyes and inhalation.



If you think your pet has been poisoned, you will need to get veterinary attention straight away. It will help your vet if you can provide the following details:

  • What product you think your pet has been exposed to (including brand names and a list of ingredients if possible- or take in the product or packaging if it is safe to do so).

  • How much they have been exposed to.

  • When it happened.

  • If you have seen any changes in your pet since the incident occurred.



Some of the most common poisons are listed below:


Human Foods


Toxin Symptoms (may include some or all)

Chocolate Vomiting, diarrhoea, excitability, twitching, tremors, fits

Onion family Lethargy, stomach problems, rapid breathing, discoloured urine.

Grapes/Currants Stomach problems, kidney problems - increased thirst

Xylitol Weakness, lethargy, collapse, fitting, liver problems


Other poisonous items include alcohol, blue cheese, raw bread dough, macadamia nuts and mouldy food.













Household products


Chlorine based bleaches

Corrosive injury to mouth and gut. Excess salivation and stomach problems if diluted – eg bleached water drunk from toilet bowl.


Detergents

Vomiting, breathing problems, dehydration if ingested. Eye irritation through direct contact.


Oven/Drain Cleaners

Tissue damage, salivation, stomach problems, ulceration, chemical burns, breathing difficulties, difficulty swallowing.


Other toxic household items include dishwasher tablets and salts, kettle de-scalers and metal polishes.












Medicines


Ibuprofen and NSAIDS (non steriodal anti-inflamatory drugs)

Severe tummy upset, blood in their stools, ulceration, vomiting, increased thirst, inappropriate urination and kidney failure.


Oral Contraceptives

Mild stomach upsets and disruption to oestrus in bitches


Paracetamol

Vomiting, brown gums, increased heart rate, changes to breathing, swelling to face and paws and delayed liver failure


Psoriasis creams (contain vitamin D derivatives)

Weakness, profuse vomiting, diarrhoea, increased thirst, muscle spasms, fits, heart problems, kidney failure and calcification of the lungs and gut.


Other toxic medicines include antidepressants, aspirin, blood pressure medications, diabetes medications, heart medications and sleeping aids.













In the garden


Fungi

Stomach upset, blood in the stools or urine, hallucinations, fits, kidney or liver failure


Daffodils / Tulips / Crocus bulbs

Vomiting, stomach upsets, excess salivation, fits, increases to blood pressure, heart rate and temperature.


Toads

Irritation to and pain in the mouth, disorientation, increased breathing, heart rate changes and fits.


Other garden toxins include acorns, compost, foxgloves, conkers, apple seeds, fruit stones (plums, cherries), yew trees.













In the shed


Antifreeze

Vomiting, diarrhoea, weakness, drunken appearance, kidney failure


Herbicides

Vomiting, dehydration, blood in the stools or vomit, mouth ulcers, breathing problems, heart problems, kidney and liver failure


Rat and mouse poison

Internal bleeding, weakness, lethargy, lameness, bruising, vomiting, excitability, changes in temperature, fits


Slug pellets

Tremors, twitching, fits


Other toxins found in sheds and garages include creosote, teak oil, fertilisers, fuel, gloss paints, insecticides, white spirit and water proofing sprays.



If you suspect that your pet has ingested something it shouldn't have, please give us a call.


Early treatment can prevent longer term issues!